Scholl's Cafeteria

In the summer of 1973, I operated a fruit and vegetable stand at the corner of Connecticut Avenue and K Street in downtown Washington, DC. One day, a well-dressed elderly gentleman came up to the stand and asked if there were any good restaurants in the area that I might recommend. Without hesitation, I told him about Sholl's Cafeteria, which was right up the street; about its great food and low prices and good service and on and on, sounding like a paid ad for the place. When I finally finished, the man reached into his pocket and handed me his card. "Here, have lunch on me." It was Evan Sholl, founder and owner of Sholl's Cafeteria, who walked around downtown Washington in his later years buying lunch for anyone who gave a good review to his restaurant.


                                     Evan Scholl, his son, wife, and mother.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stand Up And Salute!